In mid-September, 2000, Coney Island's famed Thunderbolt roller coaster was demolished by order of the New York City Department of Buildings, who declared the structure unsafe. The Thunderbolt was designed by John A. Miller, famed roller coaster designer and former partner of Cyclone designer Harry C. Baker; it opened in 1925, two years before Cyclone, and was in operation until 1983. The building underneath the coaster, the former Kensington Hotel, was built in 1895 and is probably best known as Alvy Singer's boyhood home in the movie Annie Hall. These photographs were taken Sunday, September 19, 2000, following the initial stages of demolition.
Inside the Kensington Hotel
Parachute Jump & Stadium
Return to Urban Exploration. Last updated 3/7/01; please report any problems to firstname.lastname@example.org