The Uptown opened in 1928 for the Stanley Warner chain. From 1951 to 1978, the theater hosted big-name R&B and Motown acts. Most recently used as a church, the building now sits vacant and water-damaged; it is owned by the Uptown Entertainment and Development Corporation, a non-profit group intending to restore the building as a live-performance venue.
Photograph taken February 14, 2004
Uptown Theater on Avenue of the Arts, Inc.
Uptown Theater on Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia
Uptown Theater on Cinema Treasures
Return to Theaters