Although the Aragon never showed films (it opened in 1926 as a dance hall), it is built in the style of Atmospheric theaters of its day, only without the seats. It was built by brothers Andrew and William Karzas, owners of the Trianon Ballroom at 62nd Street and Cottage Grove Avenue and several movie theaters. Since the 1960s, the Aragon has mainly been a venue for rock concerts.
Photographs taken March 8-9, 2004
Return to Theaters